Recently I bought another medieval axe head, which had a lot of rust on it.
I have restored as well several other medieval axe heads using the vinegar method, but this is very time consuming since the huge layers of rust are hard to penetrate, and it takes sometimes up to weeks to get it fully cleaned with vinegar and a metal wire brush.
Therefore i did some research on using electrolysis to remove rust. It seemed very simple, so I gave it a chance.
All items I had already laying around, so no money spend on this project.
– old bucket
– piece of wood long enough to lay on top of the bucket
– electrical wires (1.5 meter)
– rebar (mine was 6mm)
– battery charger
– 50 grams baking soda
– 8 liters of water
After inserting this piece of wire through the wood, I double folded the top for a good contact point for the negative / black connector of the battery charger. To hold it in place, I made a knot at the shown height from the wire coating that I stripped off earlier.
Added 8 liters of water and 50 grams of baking soda, and connected it all together. The red / positive connector is connected at the first metal piece (that is connected by the wire to the other pieces).
After turning it one, it started making bubbles directly.
Conclusion, I liked it a lot.
For a very rusty object, this is the way to go, it took only about 20 hours or so, instead of weeks like previously.
But it for me it would be worthy only for very rusty objects.
The other axe heads that I am working on are quite easy to clean after an average of 3 days in vinegar, and then easily cleaned by the wire brush, and I can do multiple at the same time.